Monday, April 20, 2009

Musing Mondays: Third of the Way Favorites



Hosted by Rebecca. This week's question is:

Coming towards the end of April, we’re a third of the way through the year. What’s the favourite book you’ve read so far in 2009? What about your least favourite? (question courtesy of MizB)

Good question! I just finished my 25th book of the year last night, so I have quite a few to choose from (and I may have to up my 50 books in '09 challenge to 75 at this rate!). My least favorite book so far this year is easier to decide on than most favorite. My least favorite book that I read so far this year is definitely The Shack by P. William Young. I know this book has been at the top of the NYT bestseller list forEVER, but that does not a good book make. The writing was sub-par and at times came across as preachy or cheesy, and while it COULD have been good and there could be a good message in it, I just didn't really enjoy it.

The best book I've read so far...well I can't really narrow it down to one. They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky was the one that I most recently finished and I thought that it was FAN-tastic. I loved it. I'm giving it to my mom this weekend for her to read. Another favorite book of this year is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. It had action, adventure, romance...just a little bit of everything, and kept me wanting more the entire way. I'll be starting the third book in this series next and I can hardly wait! (Oh, and I gave Outlander to my mom too and she loves it as well. She's the person that I trade books with the most.)

2 comments:

  1. regarding The Shack, being at the top of the NYTimes list or getting some award is sadly no guarantee of quality I have found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re: NYT list...i don't always (or often) agree. my least favorite book of the year? gosh...i have a few. i feel so bad--most of my reviews thus far have been less than stellar...and it's not on purpose!

    ReplyDelete